Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What was slavery like in America?

I want to find out about what slavery was like in America. I'm looking for first hand sources (and ones written without any agenda). Did any former slaves write about their experiences? If not, have there been interviews with former slaves? Did blacks themselves resent slavery or was it accepted as a natural part of life? Were slave owners kind or cruel? Did slaves have personal ties to their masters' families or were plantations run like businesses?



I'm looking for first hand sources if possible, not just from the Civil War but also from colonial times. I was going to have a look at "Uncle Toms Cabin" but put the book down once I found it was written by a white woman in the north.What was slavery like in America?
Well, your question is difficult...

I don't believe any slaves have ever written about slavery; however in Africa there still is slavery going on.

Im not sure about interviews, slavery was banned from the U.S. a long time ago and I'm not sure if some slaves are still alive today, I'd hope so.

Most blacks didn't like slavery, most were forced at a young age..so they could take it both ways.

Slave owners were cruel, if you've read about slavery, they whip/yell at them if they don't listen, they don't get medicine when ill, and they don't get a well meal

Plantations were kind of like businesses, they'd sell their slaves for money.

No comments:

Post a Comment