Friday, February 24, 2012

Can't pay taxes, what should I do?

I am from the north Georgia county of Clayton. My mother died and I live here with my father on his landed estate. I am a young widow myself with a little son. My father is not right, somehow, after my mother's death, he speaks little and never interferes with anything, so I manage the estate for him. Besides him, there are my two sisters, Suellen and Carreen, my cousin by marriage Melanie Hamilton Wilkes and her husband Ashley, with a newborn baby, Mammy, my former nanny, and our eh... workers and helpers, Dilcey, Pork, Dilcey's daughter Prissy and Will Benteen. They all depend on me for sustenance and home. We all work hard on the land and around the house, and we, in fact, already paid our taxes. But there was a new assessment on our estate, and they said I ought to paid lots more taxes than I did. The sum they demand now is enormous! They could have asked me for millions, it's the same for me. But if I do not pay, they will auction my estate, our estate, off. And I am not allowing it, not as long as I live! It is my father's and I was born here, and it should stay in the family. But I don't have any money (just about ten dollars in gold). We paid taxes and bought seeds and things for our plantation. What should I do?Can't pay taxes, what should I do?
travel to Atlanta, Scarlett, but do not bother with that scoundrel Ret, go to Mr Kennedy directly.Can't pay taxes, what should I do?
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment