Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Does the South exist?

For a essay project for class I'm doing a bit of research on what people think about the south. Does it still exist as it used to? Has it become nonexistent? Has it become Americanized? Is it still a "separate" place from the north? Did history preserve it by saving plantations, erecting monuments, preserving battlefields, etc? What do you think about the south?Does the South exist?
I live in North Carolina and love it. The old south is pretty much gone - there are very few plantations in the Antebellum sense of the word except for those that are now on various historical registers and are open to the public. Erecting monuments to the war dead and preserving battlefields is a perfectly normal response. There are similar monuments and battlefield preservations all over the world commemorating dreadful events. The geographic boundaries are pretty much the same. There is much separation in the way of life when compared to northern states. Life is slower here - the climate has a lot to do with that. I find the people here to be very friendly and considerate. People say hello to other people encountered in the street, it's a way of acknowledging another human being and I find it much more preferable to ignoring the presence of another person which is customary in many other places. There are customs that are followed that echo the customs of earlier times. I am not sure what you mean by "become Americanized" - sure, there are fast food restaurants and chain restaurants, but there is also a cuisine that is southern, just as there are cuisines in other parts of the country that are particular to the area. For the most part native people where I live are very aware of the history and lineage of their families - and by this I mean people who have lived here for generations, both black and white. I have not met anyone who lives in the past and yearns for the things that separated the south and the north. I am sure there are some who do, I have just been fortunate enough not to have met them. There are many "transplants" from other parts of the country (I am one myself, although I am an immigrant) and unfortunately quite a number of them who move here because they claim to like the way life is conducted, often try to change things and do not respect local customs and methods. I love the southern way of life, I like the climate, I like the people, I have no complaints. There's good and bad everywhere but the good far outweighs the bad in my neck of the woods.
yessssDoes the South exist?
It exists bio-geographically, it also exists culturally, and still has different values that its northern counterparts.
The south still has it 's on rules.It still plays by who has the most power ,land or money.It's sucks ...

No comments:

Post a Comment