Friday, February 24, 2012

Character name help name suggestions?

My story will be involving a recently freed slave (before/during the Civil War era) either named Enoch (Hebrew meaning :dedicated" probably named by his master and meant for him to be dedicated to his master), Jabez (Hebrew meaning "borne in pain" as a meaning to him being born a slave), or Absalom (Hebrew for "father of peace" and is known as King David's beautiful but yet rebellious son that tried to overthrow him). What do you think of those names? Which one do you like better?



But my character decides, after running away to the North, to rename himself and gives himself a new name. So far I like the names: Asa, Maurice, or Seth. But of course the name will have to flow well with the surname Crane (he's adopted into a family) and then he gets married to a young girl and takes the surname Fitzgerald.



If you need any more, here's his character:

A rather witty, quick-thinker he takes great pride in fighting for his freedom. His master often thought him as quiet and obedient, but he's actually observant and calm, bidding his time for his master to let his guard down in order to run away. Growing up quickly on the plantation made him mature quicker than most boys. He does, however, have frustrations with society about treating him less equally than barn animals but also has low self-esteem believing that while blacks and whites can live together side by side, he feels that they can't intermix in a marriage which puts a strain on his relationship with Alexis, a young spunky white girl who is also his love interest.



What do you think? And I don't want overused names like William or Thomas! I want unique names that also fits with the time period.Thanks for your help!Character name help name suggestions?
All the names are nice with the meanings, but I like Enoch a little better. And I think Asa sounds more African for his changed-name, which is good, he still wants to keep his roots.
First og all, only choose one Christian name as most slave masters didnt have the time and couldnt be bothered to give slaves three names. Plus 3 names just makes it sound ridiculous



Secondly, I think ther name Asa is good as it has strong African connotationsCharacter name help name suggestions?
I think I like Enoch and Seth the most :)



Maybe if you want something more unique, you could go with something like Leighton but I don't know if it fits the time period.
I read a book once where their was a runaway (not a slave) just like him. He ran to a town named Manifest and soon the town came to love him, though his past haunted him. His name was Jinx.



I don't seem to like any of these real names. I think the best thing for your character would be a strange nickname he's known by, that adds to the effect that he's a runaway. How about:



Roper

Bootstrap

Pikaxe

Horseshoe



Hope this helped!
Hey!

Great idea for a story btw.

I'd go with the name Jabez, I think the meaning of it stands out the most!



Then, I think he should change it to Seth, it's such a great name in my opinion.

Plus. Seth Fitzgereald has a nice ring to it.



Good luck,

P.S Be sure to look out for Quentin Tarintinos Django Unchained, - it's quite similar to what your thinking :)



Please read mine?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment